Thursday, January 6, 2011

Trip Down Guilt Lane

Today I was taking a nap around lunch time, and my roommate who’s working at Panda Express texts me and it reads “come”. I know he’s talking about going to Panda so that I can get hooked up with food. So I grab my other roommate and go over. At the line, he’s about to be the one that takes care of us when his manager comes up to him and tells him to go help out in the back. So instead we get other people giving us the food. Once we get to the cashier, my roommate who walks by the cashier whispers to her to let us have it for free. For some reason I thought we were just getting a discount so I give her my debit card and she kind of laughs and then she pretend swipes it and give us a blank receipt.

For some reason I felt very guilty and I kept feeling I was doing something wrong. Perhaps it was the Holy Spirit rebuking me. Getting hooked up with discounts is one thing, getting it for free even though the manager doesn’t really allow it is another. Another thing is that other people were involved, people that I didn’t know. I also felt it was quite unfair that even though I wasn’t poor or in any financial trouble, I didn’t need to pay a penny to get some food while other people had to get ripped off by the place’s prices. I also thought back to when my dad said that he would sit in the economy class on the train even though he could easily afford a higher class.

So I felt really guilty. I felt I didn’t make a good impression on that stranger. I felt like I cheated. I felt like I stole 7 bucks. I think next time I don’t want any hook-ups unless it’s something the manager would be okay with.

No comments:

Post a Comment