Thursday, January 6, 2011

the day of the Lord is at hand

I read about the recent news where thousands of birds were falling to the ground: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/index.html
And then after that I also saw the fish deaths, other birds falling in other places... etc. Then I also thought about the recent earthquakes and war rumours.
Of course nowadays not few Christians are thinking about the end days.

So last night I was dreaming about the end of the world. It's kind of blurry to me but I remember there were natural disasters like floods, sudden unexpected fires, people swimming getting out of the ocean and asking for help, etc. And during my dream, I kept thinking "it's the end times" and I kept wondering when I was going to tell my close non-Christian friends that they gotta believe in the Bible and get baptized or else it's over. Especially since salvation will be closed in the end days and those that are saved are saved and those that aren't will not be able to get in. In the past (in real life) I already talked to them about church and God and asked them to come, but this time in my dream it was different. There was an urgency. I felt like perhaps salvation is already closed or at any moment, the end of the world will come and at that time it's too late. My friends will be gone. At the same time, I also felt myself unprepared. Last quarter our evangelical night theme for campus evangelism was the second coming and on our flyers was printed "Are You Ready?" I'm not. I still feel I have so much to do, yet I lack the strength to do it.

The saying "If Jesus were to come tomorrow" felt very real and practical last night. On Monday during an ICF Bible study on Luke 12:35-48 we read,
"And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants" (Lk 12:38)
"Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect" (Lk 12:40)
"the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not aware" (Lk 12:46)
During my second and third watches I'm totally not sober, not vigilant, not watching. My mind wanders and I slack off. It says the Son of Man will come when we don't expect Him, when we are not looking for Him, at an hour when we are not aware.

May I become more watchful and prepare myself all the more as that Day draws near. May I stop waiting until it becomes too late. May I work while it is day, for the night is coming.

1 comment: