Friday, December 31, 2010

Shrewd as a Snake, Innocent as a Dove

Perhaps I should be more shrewd.

On a trip to San Diego, my family and I check in to a resort. I made the reservations for the place and I remember getting 2 queen beds for the room. However the receptionist says that the reservation was for a single King size bed. My dad starts saying that's very unlikely. As for me, I second guess myself and think perhaps I rushed while I was on the website. Then they continue to say that there are no more rooms with 2 queen beds available. So we just tell them okay that's fine since we're already here and they bring in 2 extra beds into the room plus $50 more credit to use. However, at the time I made the reservations, I copied the reservation number online because I noticed that they didn't give me an e-mail/receipt. So once we get into our single King bed room I turn on my laptop, get on their free wifi and check the reservation. Turns out that I didn't make any mistakes and the reservation clearly states "Grand Guestroom 2 Queen Beds". I guess they figure no one ever copies down the reservation number. I tell my dad that perhaps we can go down to the reception and prove to them that we did have a 2 bed room and perhaps they'll give us either more credit or give us some discount for their wrong but he says it's fine.

It's interesting that they would lie to us like that. My dad on the one hand was actually trying to expose that they were lying by kind of complaining at the reception because he had suspected they were doing something behind the scenes. As for me, I just kept second guessing myself as to whether I reserved it correctly and kept hinting at my dad that it might be my fault. But he seemed sure it was their problem.

Reasons why they might pull something like that? I suspect there were very few rooms left and perhaps someone richer or something really wanted a two bed room and perhaps they were staying longer (versus us who were only staying for one night). So then the people say they can pull some strings to get them a two bed room. *shrugs*

In any case, I think it's a good lesson for me to learn. To be more shrewd and not trust strangers so easily. Man this world is corrupt.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes i second guess myself too. I used to think, "What if people conspired against me to make me think I did something I didn't?" Indeed... shrewd as a snake yet innocent as a dove.

    ReplyDelete